Career Planning is a lifelong process, which includes choosing an occupation, getting a job, growing in our job, possibly changing careers, and eventually retiring.
The career planning process is a tool that you can use several times during your life.
Knowledge of the career planning process gives you a distinct competitive advantage over people who allow random chance to direct their careers.
The Six Step Career Planning Process
1. Self Discovery (Identifying your Right Path) – Identifying and understanding your values, interests, skills, and your personal mission.
2. Career Research – Identifying and exploring your career options. Prioritizing your top three career choices.
3. Roadmapping – Laying a plan to move from where you are today to where you want to be in the future.
4. Preparation – Acquiring the additional skills, knowledge and education needed for your new career.
5. Marketing Yourself – Promoting yourself to your target audience.
6. Managing Your Career – Ongoing management of your career, and planning for your next career.
is the ability to control your life, handle the demands of work and life, and cope with a dynamic and changing economy that directly affects your work life and career development.